Friday, July 1, 2011

New Faith Family

I've spent the past week with our media guy (Tyler) along side with the 3 girls of New Faith Family. While their main focus is the 35 children in the orphanage , 10 in the nursery and the rest downstairs, they work with other ministries too. While I was there, I was really excited to be able to jump in and love on them. I found it to be an awesome experience to go to four different feedings. A "feeding" is when a group goes to a squatter village and serve a hot meal. Sometimes they pass out clothes or provide medical assistance also.
Seeing these people who had nothing, bringing whatever they could find to put their "hot porridge" it broke my heart. Kids often were playing in filth and many nearly naked. There was trash all over the ground. It didn't matter though, it was so easy to talk to and play with the kids. It was good to hear "hello" and "Magandang Umaga" spoken by the adults. It felt so humbling to serve a little girl a bowl of "porridge" that would feed her family of five. That ministry made me rethink my own surroundings.
Another cool thing that I got to do while at New Faith Family was participate in a huge box pass relay for a missions project. One night in the pouring rain a huge transport had brought a truck full of boxes to be unloaded at the base. 50 Americans and Filipinos worked together to unload that truck. Street children, senior adults, and summer missionaries, it didn't matter. We were united for the same goal. I thought it was pretty cool how our skin color, culture, social-economic static, size, religion, or anything else mattered that night. I thought it pretty cool it made me think about how if Americans Christians would put away petty differences and join as a body of Christ, what we can accomplish. I have faith @ New Faith Family!  

2 comments:

  1. that was the orphanage I was at!!!! awwwww, so awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know boo! I thought about you the whole time- You and Kimmie since she followed your footsteps. :)

    ReplyDelete