Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Follow Me- Two Simple Words?

Matthew 8:20 states. "...the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." We are told in Matthew 8:22, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead." These words cut deep to my heart. For one, Jesus was homeless. He never knew where he would be sleeping and I have a nice room I return to each night on normal circumstances. 
The part about letting the dead bury their own dead- wow deep stuff. To follow Jesus mean we must give up- give up our plans, ambitions, and career. He demands complete and total allegiance over houses, things, and even family. In order to follow God we have to follow through commitments- we can't let our words be empty. We might have to leave our family for extended time. But we cannot stay where we are and follow Christt.
Adoniram Judson, a missionary of the 19th century wrote these words for would be missionaries, "Come out for life. Do not fancy that you have a true missionary spirit, while you are intending all along to leave the unreached soon after acquiring their language. Leave them?! For what? To spend the rest of your days in, enjoying the ease and plenty of your native land?"
He knew what it meant to give up and he did just that. That's what my heart wants- I don't want to be here- my heart is completely wrapped up in this culture and in these people- then go home and live the same way I always have. I want there to be a change in me because God is so at work in my life. 
I love my family. I love my job. I love my friends. I love my home, but God didn't call me to chill in Dtown my whole live. He said, "Follow me." What is he asking you to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment